Having a personal space for playing basketball is like a dream to many people, especially those fond of basketball.
You can install an in-ground basketball hoop by using the backyard, lawn area, or garage area. This hoop will assist you in playing professionally, and you can practice at home as well.
So, to construct a basketball hoop, you have to consider a few things so that the setup can be stable and sturdy. If you give a read for three to five minutes, you’ll find out the specific ways in this article which you have to follow while installing an in-ground hoop.
Before installation, you must have a brief knowledge of the pieces of equipment and accessories. You will need a pole, backboard, rim, net, and many other instruments to build the in-ground hoop. You can search on many websites before buying, and this will give an approximate idea about the costing and working methods.
How to Install an In-ground Basketball Hoop
- At first, you have to find the perfect space, and it has to be as flat as possible because this will help you build the hoop. After that, you can choose your driveway, backyard, or any suitable area according to your preference.
- Then, you should fix a budget to install the in-ground basketball hoop because I always feel that it always comes out perfect whenever work is done with a proper plan and budget.
You can observe the in-ground basketball hoops of a friend or neighbor in your area who has recently installed an in-ground hoop. You will get a better vision of all the things that need to be accomplished.
- Sometimes, the sunlight hinders players while playing, and that’s why you can establish the hoop by facing the north or south direction.
So, setting up the ring depending on the order of light will help you play at any time of the day.
- You have to set the height of the hoop according to the location. The size specified for the professionals is 10 feet from the ground. But if the space is narrow or small, or it’s only for kids, you can hang it at a bit shorter height.
Moreover, you can set an adjustable hoop, which will help you adjust the height simultaneously with the growth of your kids.
- The backboard is one of the most necessary things on the basketball ground. A good quality backboard may cost a lot, but if you’re installing it for professional purposes, I suggest choosing the standard one that’s 72 inches in size.
Here, you have to keep another thing in mind: the space size. If you end up selecting a larger-sized backboard, that may not even go with the size of your ground. That’s why it’s always good to pick out the backboard compared with your ground size.
- If you want to set up the in-ground basketball hoop, you can choose any among four types of rim: the single static rim, double static rim, HD breakaway, and collegiate breakaway rim.
- Single static rim: This rim comes with only one rim ring and is fixed. It comes with a net lock for proper support, and the net is made of nylon.
- Double static rim: This design is considered the most sturdy rim in the market. These are great for commercial setup and come with two rim rings.
- HD breakaway: HD breakaway rim is the most popular and best-selling rim in the market. It comes with one spring and usually has a longer warranty time than other ones.
- Collegiate breakaway: This breakaway rim meets the standard of the NCAA and is used by professionals. If you want to set up an entirely professional ground hoop, you can go for this one. You will find it with two springs.
- Before digging for the basketball ground and hoop, you have to contact the authority if it has any utility line or not. For this reason, before choosing a location and starting digging, you have to check the situation of that place.
- You must dig a hole to set up the hoop as the hoop remains set with the pole. The pole needs to be settled in the ground properly. You can use the equipment for digging with the help of friends or family members, but it’s always better to complete the task with the assistance of professionals.
- First, choose a suitable place for the pole. You can dig a hole of 30 inches and more. You should make sure that your basketball hoop must not be facing the street; it should be facing your house.
So, after deciding the direction, you’ve to put the pole in the hole you just dug. Then you’ve to pour the concrete mixture into the hole. Then, you’ve to ask your friend to hold the pole, and then you will pour the concrete mix into the hole. While running the concrete mix:
- Make sure that someone is keeping the pole straight.
- Someone should whisk the pole after pouring the mix so that there are no air bubbles.
- After filling it thoroughly, you have to make the level smooth by using any board.
- For the first few hours, you have to keep an eye on the pole so that it doesn’t tend to fail.
- Then you have to wait up to two days so that the cement dries up fully.
- Finally, after almost two days, you will find that the mixture is tough, and the pole is set as well.
- Then, you have to look forward to the next step, which is setting up the backboard, which you can set up before fixing the pole. You must follow all the restrictions before attaching the backboard.
- First, before settling the backboard, you should check if the pole is stable enough to hold the weight of the board.
- Then, you have to lift the backboard to attach it to the lower extension arm.
- You will be able to do it more quickly if you keep it in a vertical position.
- Make sure to secure all the bolts tightly and check the stability of the board.
However, you will need the assistance of a few people to set it up. The backboard is one of the heaviest parts of basketball. So, you must need the help of a few people to embed this up with the pole.
If you don’t fix the backboard properly, it may even become the reason for accidents. So, you should check out everything properly if the backboard is set correctly or not.
- Next, you have to attach the net and rim to the backboard. Generally, you will get a diameter of 18 inches to rim in both static and breakaway systems.
You should choose the breakaway if you’re already a professional or do dunks while playing, but the static rim is suitable for beginners. The fixed rim or the dunk hoops will work great if you are building up for yourself.
- On the contrary, if you install the hoop for your children, who are teens, you can get the super-adjustable ones. You can adjust the height easily from seven feet to ten feet.
So, we get that a basketball hoop is incomplete with a stable rim. You must choose the best or the sound quality from the market because the players sometimes give their total weights on the rim.
A strong rim ensures the longevity of the complete setup. That’s why you should always go for a better one. Also, rims come with springs that work great to work against the dunks of the players.
- Generally, the length of the basketball net is 21 inches, and there should be 12 loops. It would help if you tried to buy the net with thick polyester; that would be long-lasting. A dense fibered net won’t get tangled and will not get ruined in any weather condition.
- You can order the rim and net from any store on amazon or get an on-the-spot purchase. These generally come with a warranty, and quality is satisfactory as well. The rim and net set’s packaging comes with all the needed instructions, and you can attach it with the rim within minutes.
However, a thick fibered net will always help increase the goal’s rate by its gripping capacity.
So, you can quickly build up an in-ground basketball hoop with the help of family members or friends. You may think of doing everything alone in this century of DIYs, but trust me, making a basketball space alone is quite difficult. If it’s only the rim and net, you can go for it, but if it’s an in-ground hoop, you should consult with the professional soccer/basketball space-building team. Doing all the heavy tasks alone may become risky or bring up any internal injury to your body.
On the other hand, having a helping hand or calling the professional team will provide excellent relief for you. These experienced workers will set up everything for you, from digging up the soil for the pole to hanging the net.
Before I Conclude
If you’re still having doubts about whether you should install an in-ground basketball hoop or not, I would suggest not to think much and start working for it. Hopefully, this article will help you assimilate all the steps thoroughly, and you can successfully set up an in-ground hoop at the suitable space of your residence.